Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

When we first realized we needed to go gluten and dairy free, I decided it was important to find a new muffin recipe for easy breakfast, since I basically lived off Cheerios and the occasional bagel. I went right back to the family cookbook my mom compiled when I was 2 years old. (My mom has 10 siblings, with 34 children between them at the time she made the book, so there were lots of people to contribute to said cookbook.)

I took the blueberry muffin recipe we have been using since before I can remember, and with a few small tweaks I had a muffin that was very close to the "real" thing. A few important things:
- my gf flour mix already contains xanthan gum. If yours doesn't, add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp when you add the flour.
- I have corn free gf baking powder. If you use "normal" baking powder you only need 1 1/4 tsp.

Blueberry Muffins



1/2 cup uncontaminated rolled oats
1/2 cup sweet citrus juice (like orange, pineapple)
1/2 cup white or light brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups your favorite gf flour mix
2 tsp corn-free gf baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 to 1 1/2 cups blueberries
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line tin with paper muffin cups. Combine rolled oats and orange juice, stir well and let rest 2 minutes. Add sugar, oil and egg, stir. Add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda, stir until just incorporated. Add blueberries, stir to achieve even mix. Dole out mixture evenly into 12 muffins. Mix 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle on top of muffins. Bake 18-20 minutes, check at 15. Let rest at least 5 minutes, then enjoy!

These muffins will last about 1 day if left on the counter, about 3 days if refrigerated in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment