Saturday, May 29, 2010

Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

So, there are these things out there called Whoopie Pies. While tasty, I've always thought that they are way too huge. Of course, when I started making them, I didn't even realize that's what they were called, and I definitely made them smaller. I just called them Oreo Cookies. Back in the days when we could eat wheat, I used a box of Devil's Food cake mix to make them, but obviously that won't work now.

Today we went to a wedding, and I wanted to make sure I would be able to eat dessert. So last night I mixed up the dough, and this morning I baked cookies. Considering I just slightly modified a wheat-based recipe, these turned out very well. Note that in order to keep these cookies from turning out too "cakey" you don't use an electric mixer. So, without further ado (or more rambling), I give you...

Gluten Free Oreo Cookies

2 cups gf flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons gf baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup hemp or rice milk

Put flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix with a whisk. In a separate bowl, stir shortening and egg with a rubber spatula until mostly blended, then add sugar and vanilla and stir until fully mixed. Add milk and 1/3 of dry mixture, stir until fully blended, then repeat with two more additions of 1/3 of dry mix, stirring until all mix is incorporated. Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Put parchment paper on two cookie sheets.

Using a teaspoon and your hands, roll dough into balls. Each ball should have the diameter of a quarter. Flatten each ball slightly. Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to cooling rack. When all cookies have finished cooling, match cookies into pairs based on size. Put a small amount of icing on one cookie and place other cookie on top.

Dairy Free Cream Cheese Icing

3 tbsp Earth Balance or dairy-free margarine, softened
1/3 package Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
approx 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix all three together with electric mixer. Add extra sugar if necessary to achieve a spreadable consistency. So easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment